Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Thinking

I don't think that people think about the impact they have on other people's lives. Every action towards another person could have a huge or a tiny impact but we never really think about what those could be. The other day, I had a customer come in ordering drinks for her son's 8th birthday, her son who was with her. She ordered 5 drinks, 4 went in a carrier, and the little boy got to carry his own drink; it was just how the numbers worked out. Before I gave him his drink, I took my sharpie and wrote "Happy Birthday" along with some balloons on his cup. The look on his face as he read the side of his smoothie stayed with me through the entire day, and I can't help but think that 20 years from now, he's going to look back to his 8th birthday and remember the lady who wrote on the side of his smoothie cup in happiness. We always remember those little things, the random little actions that happen throughout the day but I don't think we realize that other people have them to, and that other people could have them about us (good or bad). A seemingly insignificant phrase could mean nothing to one person, but said to another could bring back unbearable memories.
I watched some snippets of a documentary on 'real-life' super heroes today on TV. Not like firemen or police officers. Legitimate people in masks, capes and spandex. These people do what they think are extraordinary acts of kindness when in reality, these are things that everyone should do, as decent human beings. Being a good person isn't super, it doesn't take that much effort, and doesn't require a mask! You should be proud to do things like volunteer to help the homeless, not let a business owner harass a customer, not let someone get mugged. It is not too much to ask people to be good human beings, but these superheroes make it seem like you have to hide who you are and make a huge deal out of it. It is sad that we live in a world where being a decent human being makes you extraordinary or 'something special'. Humanity should be a normal thing. Instead, it should be cruelty or evilness that makes someone stand out, because it is so off kilter from the rest of the world. You never know what affect a smile, a greeting, or a help across a parking lot can have. Think about it next time you say "I want..." instead "Can I please have..."
Think about it the next time you see someone straining to reach for something but rush by because you don't want to deal with it.
Think about it all the time, everyday, with every action you make. Think about the impact you could be having on someone else's life. Let your smiles reach your eyes. Make eye contact and say Hi. Let someone be nice to you, especially if it's their job. You're just making their life harder by being a pain in the ass. Be nice to someone, even if they're being a pain in the ass. You're just sinking to their level by reacting in the same way. If nothing else, be a good person for you, not for other people. It will make you more successful and make you a healthier and happier person. I do both. When the people around me are happy, I tend to be happier. When I am good and full of goodwill and good thoughts, I feel good. My stomach isn't upset, my head doesn't hurt, and I smile. Alot. Smiling makes everything better. I truly believe that simple eye contact and smiles are the key to two people connecting in an amazing way. It isn't facts about each other, it isn't physical chemistry. It is an intent to do good and to be interested and listen. It is as simple as thinking about the potential impact you may have on someone else's life, and thinking about the fact that if you don't do things in a way that make you a good person to you, you may regret it for the rest of your life.
Think about other people's feelings. It will make you more conscious of your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment